Thursday, February 24, 2011

First scratch


This is what Mittens looked like a few days after we found her howling her lungs out in our front yard.

She was a gorgeous kitten and I really thought someone would be looking for her. I called all the local vets and put posters up around the neighbourhood, but noone claimed her.

While she looked cute, she had a bit of feral about her. She did not like to be picked up or held. She would yowl and carry on until you put her down, but she never scratched anyone.

Even now, she accepts being picked up, and patted (some times) but she does not like it.

Both my cats are inside cats, as I don't believe the neighbourhood is safe for kitties prowling around by themselves, and I don't want them trespassing into other people's yards or catching native lizards and birds.

Froufrou has grown fat and lazy and doesn't mind that she spends her life indoors. Mittens on the other hand is always ready to make a break for it.

This morning I got up at 5.30 to let Barbie out for a wee, and Mittens escaped out the back door. I had to chase her into the garden, pick her up and bring her back inside. She ran away from me as quickly as her little legs could carry her, saying 'brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt' as she went. She then stopped and rubbed her head on the pavers manically, scent marking. I grabbed her and carried her back inside, and she was grumbling under her breath.

It sounded a bit like 'meewwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeemm'.

Just as I got in the door and let her go, she scratched me as she jumped down.

So Mittens has lost her title as 'the only cat I've ever had who hasn't drawn blood...'
Related Posts with Thumbnails