Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Stays with distractions

At Barbie's last obedience class, after everyone had done their test and passed (some took longer than others), we played a little game.

We were each given a stick of dried kangaroo, and a plastic cone. We had to put the roo under the cone, and then get the dog to down/stay 10 metres from it, and then walk to the cone, get the roo, walk back to the dog. Barbie didn't move. Her stay was as solid as I've seen it. I was very proud of her.

Then I realised that in the class there are probably less distractions than at home! I do down/stay practice with the dogs together. The cats are always around. Barbie is usually the one to break but she is learning quicker than Bender did when he was young. I think it's reinforcing Bender's stays as well. I can see he has deliberately planted himself on the ground. All his muscles are tense but he doesn't move.

Last night I had them both in a down stay and I was about 10 metres away, but still in sight. Mittens was dancing around in front of them and headbutting them but they did not break!

It will be very interesting to see how Barbie goes with all the activity at an agility class. She still has her timidness to overcome. I have been asked to write an article about Barbie for the Greyhounds As Pets newsletter. They haven't updated their testimonials page for a long time so I'm not sure if they are going to put it together, they will probably just wait for my article. I think I'll write it for her Gotcha day.
Related Posts with Thumbnails