Thursday, March 14, 2013

Friends in Blogland - Barbie meets Honey the Great Dane

It seems like a very long time ago now that I met my first blogger friend, Sue from Greyhounds Can Sit. We spent some quality time with Beryl and Frankie and it was great, but I had to go all the way over to NZ to do it. Bender and Barbie did not get to join in the fun.


Well our latest blogger friends have actually come to us! Honey and Hsin-Yi (and Paul) from BigHoneyDog.com have moved to Perth. Barbie and I met them down at one of our favorite spots, Riverside Gardens, and Barbie and Honey seemed to enjoy each other's company.


You can really see the size difference as they stand together - a lot of people think Barbie is a 'big dog', but as you can see compared to Honey, she is not big at all! Hsin-Yi and Paul were surprised when I told them she only weighed 25 kilograms. Honey is about 70, which is a fair bit heavier than I am.


Hsin-Yi bought her fancy camera along and graciously said I could use her lovely photos on my blog. Capturing Barbie in full flight is a challenge, but she did manage to get one full-speed shot without Barbie's feet even being blurry.

Hsin-Yi also managed to get the only photo I have seen so far with both of Barbie's ears standing straight up! This photo reminded me so much of Sue's photos of Beryl.


There was another Greyhound around for Barbie to race, so she showed off her awesome speed quite a lot. Honey was a little bewildered by Barbie's running abilities - Hsin-Yi said that she hasn't ever seen another dog move like that before. Barbie was just a black blur.


It is so funny meeting people in real life after following their blog for a long time. It is like meeting a celebrity you have been watching on TV. I knew I would have no trouble spotting Honey when she arrived, and I was right. She loomed large over near the carpark and I recognised Paul and Hsin-Yi straight away. Honey is so friendly that she gave me Great Dane cuddles as soon as I was close enough, leaning against my legs. I used to think it was something having a big male Greyhound lean on you, but a Great Dane is something else!

Honey's blog is so popular that we even met a fan of theirs at Riverside Gardens. A young couple with a young Dane pup called Molly. Paul recognised them too from a Great Dane walking group that they had met up with.

Honey and Barbie seemed to be very compatible, they showed a lot of respect for each other and they seemed to enjoy each other's company.



I really enjoyed chatting with Hsin-Yi and Paul, they are both absolutely lovely people and I am looking forward to having many more doggie dates and other catch ups with them in future. It was a pleasure to welcome them to 'my' city.




Related Posts with Thumbnails