Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Mouser turns 3 (or 21 in dog years)

Mouse turned three years old and I decided that I needed to throw a little celebration. N rightly pointed out that I had never made a cake for any of the other dogs, but I was determined to be more organised this time. 

The night before her birthday I threw together a carrot and peanut butter cake. The recipe is as follows.

Ingredients

1 egg, 1/4 cup peanut butter (I used unsalted), 1/4 cup cooking oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 cup shredded carrots, 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, creamed cheese

Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degs F (175 degs C)
  2. Combine egg, peanut butter, oil and vanilla in a large bowl; mix well
  3. Stir in the carrots and mix thoroughly
  4. Sift the flour and baking soda and fold into the carrot mixture
  5. Spoon batter into greased cake tin
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto serving plate
  7. Spread the cream cheese over the cake while it is still warm for 'icing' and add whatever decoration you see fit
Final Result


I kinda spooned the batter in the cake tin into this rough shape and then cut the head out to be a bit more round. It was supposed to look like a duck but I think it was more like a chicken by the end of it, not that Mouse minded one bit! 

I tried some of the cake myself and it was actually pretty nice. You could add some honey if humans were going to join in on the celebrations.


She waited nicely for the photos to be taken without trying to chow down on the cake. I attribute this partly to my 'leave it' training, and partly to those strange little fires on top of the cake that she wasn't quite sure about. She seemed quite relieved when I blew them out.


She was a bit perturbed that I made her sit in front of the yummy cake for photos, then picked it up and took it into the kitchen.


I cut the cake up, and of course Mouse got the biggest piece. She was very excited about it. Barbie and Bender appreciated their pieces also. 


It's OK her eyes didn't actually pop out of her head....


The blur effect makes Bender's teeth look huuuuuuge.


Of course Bender finished off all the crumbs on the plate to save me from doing much cleaning up! 


Related Posts with Thumbnails