Saturday, February 11, 2012

How do you keep your car clean?


You know dog owners who really love their dogs by the smears of slobber on the windows of their vehicles.

I bought a 'new to me' car late last year to replace my old four wheel drive which was totalled by an idiot just before Easter in 2011. We immediately took it on a 4000 kilometre road trip with the dogs in the back. I made sure I got some robust seat covers, and the floor mats that came with the car are rubber and cover the floor almost completely. The dogs did their best, filling the car up with sand, smearing their slobber on the doors and windows, and Bender even puked about 2 litres of water into the footwell behind the drivers' seat. We mopped the spew up with towels which we washed in the laundromat at the caravan park, but the car smelled pretty bad after that.

When we got home, I took the car to the car wash. I spent a lot of time cleaning the outside which was caked with dust from the outback. Then I had to carefully pull out the floormats so as to not spill the sand all over the place. It looked like I had created a beach next to the car. Then I took all the seat covers out and chucked them in the washing machine. I vacuumed all the carpet - as there was a line of sand around the edge of the floor mats. Then I wiped down all the doors and dashboard with Armourall - there was a mess on the dash that wasn't the dog's fault though, N missed when she tried to put her Coke back in her cup holder and it went all over the front of the car. The whole process took a few hours.

Now that I've had the car for a little while, there is Bender hair floating around constantly. I know that I won't frequently spend hours cleaning the car.

N's car is worse. It has ferried the dogs to the beach and back for months on end without being cleaned. She is embarrassed to let friends ride in the back.

So what does the interior of your car look like?
Related Posts with Thumbnails